Friday, April 24, 2009

I am at the hospital watching Dean sleep. Haverly, Bill, his brothers Walter and Gary, and his sisters-in-law Donna and Lori spent much of the day with him. He does wake up when the nurses come in to do their ministrations and Haverly says he did actively, and cooperatively, participate in physical therapy.

But, he won't be moving soon to the rehab hospital. Dean has developed some type of small intestine problem. Until that is resolved he probably won't leave ICU. John, his nurse today, is the one who told me he won't be going.

As you can imagine...it is such a let down. Walter and Donna will return to Dallas tomorrow and Haverly will return to Chicago on Sunday. They have experienced the ups and downs of just one week. Bill, Frazier, and I will hold down the fort.

I need for Haverly to get back to work and school. She is such a help, waiting on her dad - grooming him, talking to him, enduring his mood swings. But it is time for her to go.

Throughout all this, Bill has had some good experiences. On Monday he closed on the condiminium he and Dean purchased. Then on Tuesday he began tearing out the kitchen. He has designed a high end chef's kitchen for Dean that will allow him to cook to his heart's content. I got the tour last night...the view west to Mt. Evans, south to Colorado Springs, and north to Long's Peak is absolutely spectacular. Whenever we watch the Colorado sunsets, it really is purple...purple mountains majesty. I will add some video this weekend so that you too can see it.

As you know, whenever it snows, I stay with Dean and Bill. My new suite has a wonderful view; I probably will hope every snowy day is a Snow Day..no school. (My friend at work calls me a "princess". The care and love that Dean and Bill shower on me truly makes me feel that way.)

I am leaving the hospital now and will join Frazier, Cassi, Wyatt, Owen, Haverly, Bill, Gary and Walter and Donna for a family dinner before everyone takes off for other places. Take care, enjoy the weekend. Linda

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Linda,everyone in Seattle calls you "the Angel". You are amazing. Hope you relaxed some in DC. Prayers and love from all of us to you! Love, Carla

Anonymous said...

testing, testing

Davia, Joseph, and now Aaron!!! said...

You really are amazing, Aunt Linda. Your care for those two rivals anything that they have done for you. God has really blessed the three of you with such a wonderful relationship. Our prayers and tears are with you all there in Colorado. We think of you often. God Bless.

Tonda Potts said...

Dear Linda and Frazier,
Ken and I are thinking about Dean and all of you that surround him with love. Linda, I am a principal at Park Hill in DPS. Jesse is still in Florida working in a car parts company. He sends his best to Frazier- his buddy from the drum section at Boulder High School. I have always thought of Dean as the most kind and gentle school leader ever. Ken continues at CU Boulder writing and fighting for social justice in education. We have a little place in Denver now at Steele and 17th so I can be closer to my school during the week. Please know we are sending strength and friendship.
Best,
Tonda Potts

Claire Hertz said...

Hello to Dean's Loved Ones,

I first met Dean when he was our Harvard Coach during an Executive Leadership training for a week last July. Here's a pic of the two of us when we were in Boston having dinner in an exceptional Italian restaurant:

http://picasaweb.google.com/clairehertz/HarvardDayThree03#5223550562496534354

Dean and Bill took my husband, daughter and I on a tour of Denver last November when we were in town for a conference. The tour included the location of their future condo, a Thai restaurant and all the sights in Downtown Denver. They were gracious hosts, and we had a wonderful time.

I hope the family time you have had together this week will help Dean restore his strength and health. It's been a long road to recovery, and we continue to send our love and prayers from Oregon.

Claire Hertz