Saturday, March 27, 2010

Don't know if anyone is still checking here

But today would have been Dad's 66th birthday. It's hard to believe that it's been a year since you all so graciously participated in celebrating the big 65! I went to class today, 6 weeks until graduation! Frazier spent the day with Cassi, Wyatt and Owen. My mom is in Amarillo visiting her dad, Grandpa Joe, her sister Kathy, brother-in-law Dane and nephew Norman. Everyone is preparing for our cousin Tasha's wedding in Nashville at the beginning of May and we're excited to have yet another reason to celebrate. Bill is in Palm Springs, enjoying the warmth and the sun.

Not a day goes by that any of us don't think of and miss my Dad, but we're constantly reminded of how many people loved him and that helps us remember the good times.

So, Happy Birthday Dean! We love you and we miss you!

--Haverly

4 comments:

Claire Hertz said...

I do have this on an RSS feed, so it showed up in my Google Reader this afternoon.

I was just talking about Dean the other day when I was talking to my daughter about what a risk taker is in terms of a leader. She is in her first year in college.

She had the pleasure of meeting Dean and Bill in October 2008 when we were visiting Denver for a conference. I worked with Dean at Beaverton Schools in Oregon. My husband, daughter and I went out to a Thai restaurant with Dean and Bill. They also gave us a route to tour the area the following day.

She remembered Dean, and I spoke about how he had the courage to do speak out for what was right for students even when it may have not been widely accepted by the main stream community. Taking risks takes courage. Dean encouraged me in my work, and I do miss him terribly.

Happy birthday to your Dad, and please know how his teachings continue to support many of us in our daily work with kids.

Anonymous said...

I have not checked the blog in so terribly long and for some reason this evening I did decide to take a look. I still think of your father so often. And I can never thank you all enough for sharing the journey with us.

My youngest, Matt will be coming to the University of Colorado next year so I hope to be able to catch up with some of the family on one of my visits.

Love to all... Ann Jones

Scott said...

Haverly,

I just happened to be checking out another "blogspot" blog and checked here....was so pleased to see your posting!

I have two photos of your dad in my office. Many of his friends are in and out of my office each day. Hardly a week goes by that someone doesn't comment on one of those photos and on what a wonderful man Dean was.

He will always live on in our hearts and memories!

Scott Elliff

Anonymous said...

just decided to check....found wonderful notes...dean was an amazing support to me through my years at BVSD....his words of wisdom still ring in my head when am faced with difficult times. he was truly a gift...the the intensity of the pain lessens with time and joys and memories become more intense. as i write this i am watching the rockies and i know how much i insisted he go to some games...he liked it better when he sat closer and could see the ball..something i can certainly understand. he was a great sport...best to all and hugs, joan russell