Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Meeting with Dr. Zamora

Haverly told me that the blog is a way for me to deal with all the emotions and fears I have about Dean's medical condition. Sometimes when I sit here to type I am so sad the tears flow and flow. After I write, I push the botton to publish and then I get up and move on to my "normal" life.

Today was such a rough day for me and for Bill. Our meeting with Dr. Zamora clarified some things. All of Dean's organs are functioning well. But he is chronically malnutritioned and that is contributing to wasting disease. That's why he looks emaciated. On top of that, Dean seems to have withdrawn. Dr. Zamora and Bill pointed out that he no longer initiates things. He always wanted to greet and know by name the nurses and therapists and doctors. He shook their hands. Now he sleeps through their ministrations.

Dean needs one more surgical procedure for now to improve the stoma (small bodily opening) of his coloscopy. Then, once that heals there is the good possibility that Dean can be moved to the rehab hospital. Dr. Zamora even predicted that 2-3 months after Dean goes to rehab, he will be walking. For us to look at Dean today, we don't believe it.

I hadn't seen Dean awake in over a week, so today I was able to share lots of newsy news with him. We (I) even talked to Frazier who explained that he is receiving an annual award from the children's advocacy group in Larimer County for helping to remove a young boy from an abusive home situation. That brought a smile to Dean's face.

I also told him that come next year he needs to be ready to travel all over. Next May our niece gets married in Nashville, then Haverly gradutes from Roosevelt University in Chicago, and Frazier and Cassie get married in June. We have so many good things to which we can look forward .

I have no idea how much Dean understands. I showed him the numbers for the blog. This afternon there were 14,880 views of the blog. That is simply amazing. I pointed out to him that he has a HUGE circle of friends. And they're all pulling for him to get better. I even showed him the picture of Haverly in her infectious disease ensemble and the video of the birthday cards.

Dr. Zamora would like to do the procedure for the stoma this week. We'll keep you informed. Linda and Bill

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you again. All of you are in my daily thoughts and prayers... Dean, you made such an impact and difference in so many peoples lives. I pray daily for your healing.

David Jensen

JMarkert said...

To Dean's Family - In many ways this ordeal Dean is going through is just as trying on the family as it is on Dean. The family is to be "saluted" for your steadfast dedication in keeping vigil over Dean and keeping his many friends up to date.

Dean's Blog is read often by many and the continued posts to the blog are much appreciated. Rest assured that all of us are praying for Dean and the Family and we all look forward to the day we hear dean is traveling everywhere once again.

With all our care and love -
John & Barbara Markert

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the update. We think of you each day..
Michelle and Kent

Unknown said...

Sue and I think and talk about Dean and all of you constantly! It is so hard to even imagine Dean as you describe him right now, and we hope that in due time, he will begin to make more forward progress. Our picture of him is as a vibrant, steadfast, courageous, and fun loving man who cares a great deal about others. It is now our turn to continue to care a great deal about him in hopes that the collective caring will bring him the energy he needs to recover from all that he has been through.

Thanks for the continued updates and our love goes out to all of you.

Muriel and Sue